- prep30 mins
- cook50 mins
- 200g pitted dates, chopped
- 200ml boiling water
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbs golden syrup
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 Eggs, at room temperature.
- 150g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150g unsalted butter
- 200g brown sugar
- 1 tbs golden syrup
- 200ml thickened cream
1. Preheat oven to 170°C steam bake.
2. In a small boil cover the dates with the boiling water and bicarb soda. Stir and leave for 10 mins.
3. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and syrup until well mixed, add the sugar and beat out lumps.
4. Beat in one egg at a time and continue until smooth.
5. Gently add the flour and baking powder.
6. Squish the dates with a fork and add them and their liquid to the batter.
7. Pour into a greased baking tin. (23x23cm)
8. Bake for 30 mins.
9. As soon as you remove from oven, pierce the cake repetitively with a skewer.
10. Pour half the warm sauce over the pudding, allowing it to soak into the holes for 20 mins.
11. Serve with more sauce and vanilla ice-cream.
1. In a small saucepan, place the butter, brown sugar and syrup and place over medium heat.
2. Once the butter has melted, stir and melt the sugar and syrup.
3. Stir in the cream and simmer to combine.
4. Take off heat and keep warm for serving.