Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe
- 15 Min
- 40 Min
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp shao hsing cooking wine or sherry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 600g pork fillet, trimmed & sliced
- 2 tbsp cornflour, extra
- 4 tbsp vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into 2 ½ cm cubes
- 6 green onions, cut into 4cm lengths
- 1 ½ cups (200g) chopped fresh pineapple
- Steamed long grain rice & Thai basil leaves, to serve
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 100ml water
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- ⅓ cup pineapple juice
- 1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
Scatter over basil if using. Serve with rice.
- Combine the cornflour and cooking wine in a large bowl, stir until smooth. Stir in the soy, sugar and ginger. Add pork and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes if time permits.
- Meanwhile, for the sauce, stir the cornflour with 1 tablespoon of the water in a small saucepan until smooth. Stir in the remaining water. Add the sugar, pineapple juice, stock cube, tomato sauce and soy. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, simmer for 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Heat wok over high heat until hot. Drain any marinade from the pork (there may not be any but important the pork is not sitting in any marinade). Sprinkle the extra cornflour over the pork. Toss to coat.
- Add 2 tablespoon oil to hot wok and swirl to coat the wok. Add one-third of the pork, making sure each piece comes in contact with the hot wor. Turn and cook 30 seconds until golden. Remove to a plate. Repeat with remaining pork in two batches adding more oil as required.
- Add the capsicum, green onions and pineapple to the hot wok. Stir fry 1 minute. Return the pork to the wok and pour over the sauce. Toss to coat.
- Grate the fresh ginger.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in step 1.
- Stir the pork into the marinade then cover and put into the fridge.
- Help measure out the sauce ingredients.
- Crumble the stock cube.