- prep20 MIN
- cook65 MIN
- 2 x 1.5kg whole fresh chicken, cleaned
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp Portuguese spice blend
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated then halved
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 800g sweet potato, scrubbed
- Steamed green beans, to serve
Green Chilli Oil
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 green chillies
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
Serve the chicken and fries with the chilli oil and green beans.
- Place 1 chicken breast side down on a clean board. Using kitchen scissors, cut along either side of the backbone. Discard the backbone. Turn the chicken over and press down on the breastbone to flatten the chicken. Repeat with remaining chicken. Arrange chickens, breast side up in a large greased roasting pan.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the olive oil with the spice blend, paprika, garlic, lemon rind and thyme. Juice one lemon half, stir 1 ½ tablespoons into the marinade. Spoon over the chickens. Use fingertips to rub the marinade all over the chicken. Cut remaining lemon half in half and place into roasting pan with chickens.
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan forced. Roast 55 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, cover and set aside 10 minutes (see tip).
- Meanwhile, cut the sweet potato skin left on in 1cm-thick fries. Arrange on a lightly greased baking tray, drizzle with remaining oil, season well with salt and pepper. After the chickens have been in the oven for 40 minutes, add sweet potato fries above the chicken and roast 15 minutes. Once chicken is out of the oven, increase the oven temperature to 230°C. Cook the fries a further 10 minutes or until golden.
- To make the chilli oil, combine all ingredients in a blender or small processor with salt and pepper. Blend or process until smooth.
To test if the chicken is cooked, insert a skewer into the thigh and press lightly. The juices should run clear.