Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 15 Min
- 40 Min
- 500g macaroni
- 75g butter, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 4 cups full cream milk
- 2 ½ cups grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 100g pancetta slices, chopped
- 2 cups sour dough breadcrumbs (see tip)
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan forced. Lightly grease 10 cup capacity ovenproof baking dish.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water following packet directions until just tender. Drain well. Return to the pan.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mustard, mix well. Remove from the heat, add the milk whisking until smooth. Return to the heat, bring to boil, stirring until thickened. Stir in 1 ½ cups cheese.
- Pour sauce over the pasta, season well. Spoon mixture into the prepared dish. Scatter with remaining cheese. Top with pancetta and breadcrumbs. Bake, for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden. Scatter over the parmesan. Serve.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the baking dish with melted butter or oil to grease the dish.
- Stir the sauce and pasta together.
- Spoon the macaroni cheese into the baking dish.
- Scatter the cheese over the macaroni.
- Scatter the pancetta and breadcrumbs over the cheese.
- This is a good way to use up stale bread. You will need about ¼ sourdough loaf. Cut into slices and process into crumbs.