- prep25 MIN
- cook10 MIN
- 500 grams of lean pork mince
- 4 shallots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 sprig of coriander
- 1tsp sesame oil
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp pepper
- 1 pinch powdered ginger
- 24 wonton
- 1 x 200 gram packet dried egg noodles
- 2L chicken stock
- 2tb soy sauce
- 1cm piece of ginger
- 1 shallot (reserve the top)
- 2 bunches baby bok choy
- 2 shiitake mushrooms (soaked for 10min and sliced)
- 2 sprigs of coriander
- 1 birds eye chilli
- 100grams bean sprouts
- ¼ shallot top thinly sliced
- Remove coriander from stalk. Finely chop coriander, garlic and shallots.
- Place mince, add sesame oil, garlic, coriander, shallots, salt, pepper and ginger, in a bowl mix until well combined.
- Fill a small bowl with water. Line a tray with baking paper and spray with vegetable oil.
- Roll meat mixture into 24 even balls.
- Dip a wonton wrapper into water. Place a ball of the filling mixture into the center of the wonton wrapper, bring 1 corner up to meet the opposite corner, press down gently around the edges, place onto the baking paper and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Finely chop the shallot and remove the skin from the ginger.
- Place the stock, ginger and shallot into a large stock pot, bring to a simmer and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove ginger.
- Cut baby bok choy bunches in half lengthwise and rinse well. Cut the stem into 3 pieces and the leaves into 2.
- Add the stems and the wontons into the stock and cook for 4 minutes. Add the noodles and bok choy leaves into the pot and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Adult toppings; wash the mint and coriander, remove from stems, roughly chop into large pieces. Finely slice chili on the diagonal.
- Serve ladles of soup, dumplings and noodles in a bowl. Top with the adult topping as desired.
You can make wontons in advance and freeze. Simply place wontons in a single layer in a freezer bag or container and freeze.
Get your kids involved:
If you would like to get your kids involved in the cooking process show them how to make a dumpling.
Often children do not like the complexity, spiciness, and colours of food that adults do. Make the adult extra topping and sprinkle onto the top of the soup just prior to serving.